We are DICE
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Battlefront franchise, and the innovative game Mirror’s Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. We recognise that our people are the backbone and driving force to our creative products. As such, we are dedicated in providing everyone the ability to express, learn, and be their very best with a common cause.
This Master Thesis will be created in a talented multi-disciplinary team developing the tools and game runtime behind the amazing worlds you see in Frostbite games. This includes the workflows and systems for building levels and objects in Frostbite. In the team we collaborate closely on a day-to-day basis to make sure game teams around the world have great workflows and performance and flexible runtime for their games.
We are currently looking for a Master Thesis student to work on “Text readability in 3D worlds”.
What we expect (thesis details)
UI Engineering at DICE is looking for ways to increase readability of text in different scenarios. As the implementation is performance critical, we think this can be an interesting problem to solve.
Why: In Battlefield V (and other titles), we have issues with displaying text on white backgrounds. What we would like is a general solution to improving readability for scalable text in 3d-worlds with unpredictable backgrounds. The solution probably needs to do something in real time but can’t consume much resources.
We tested a few ideas like auto adjusting the contrast between the background and the foreground.
We ended up using a full screen effect that applied a “drop shadow” where the brightness was a problem.
As part of the Thesis you will working on the below –
- Review state of the art research papers and other engines.
- Based on extensive research , narrow down the best 2 -3 solutions.
- Test implementations in the DICE engine versus our current solutions.
- Performance benchmarks
- Readability tests
What we look for
- Experience working in C++
- Experience in some hobby game development is useful but not required
Good to Know
- This internship is unpaid and temporary employment. The Master Thesis needs to be associated with a Swedish University education or any other type of education that has a Master Thesis in the education plan.
- We are unable to provide relocation services for this role, and hence can only consider candidates already residing in Sweden.
- The Master Thesis is intended to start late January 2020 for a duration of 20+ weeks.
What we can offer you
We constantly aim to push the limits of what is possible to achieve in our games, and by doing your internship at DICE you get to be a part of industry-defining work as well as help create the next generation of immersive video games.
Did we mention the free massage, studio activities and all the fruit you can possibly eat? Doing your internship here at DICE has never been more exciting!
Are you interested?
Please apply online with a CV and cover letter. You may be asked to perform a work assignment during the hiring process.
We look forward to receiving your application!