We are DICE
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Battlefront franchise, and the innovative game Mirror’s Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. We recognise that our people are the backbone and driving force to our creative products. As such, we are dedicated in providing everyone the ability to express, learn, and be their very best with a common cause.
We are currently looking for a Master Thesis student to work on “Raytracing of Alpha Tested Geometry”.
What we expect (thesis details)
Bringing our titles to modern Raytracing hardware has brought lots of new challenges for us to solve. One problematic area for raytracing we’ve identified early is Alpha Tested Geometry. It is used extensively for Vegetation in our titles and the problem is complicated by artist driven shader graphs, meaning we must deal with potentially very complex shaders to evaluate.
Critical for this Thesis is that artist driven shaders are usually not perfect, and we also cannot totally constrain these shaders by raytracing limitations but must still reach reasonable performance targets and be able to easily identify problematic shaders.
As part of the Thesis you will Investigate different approaches to improving the performance of alpha tested objects for Raytracing:
- Approximation of alpha test shader
- Tessellation of Geometry
- Deferred evaluation
What we look for
- Experience working in C++
- Experience with DX12 or Vulkan
- Experience in some hobby game development is useful but not required
- Experience with DXRT is nice but not required
- Solid understanding of raytracing basics (Acceleration Structures etc.)
Good to Know
- This internship is unpaid and temporary employment. The Master Thesis needs to be associated with a Swedish University education or any other type of education that has a Master Thesis in the education plan.
- We are unable to provide relocation services for this role, and hence can only consider candidates already residing in Sweden.
- The Master Thesis is intended to start late January 2020 for a duration of 20+ weeks.
What we can offer you
We constantly aim to push the limits of what is possible to achieve in our games, and by doing your internship at DICE you get to be a part of industry-defining work as well as help create the next generation of immersive video games.
Did we mention the free massage, studio activities and all the fruit you can possibly eat? Doing your internship here at DICE has never been more exciting!
Are you interested?
Please apply online with a CV and cover letter. You may be asked to perform a work assignment during the hiring process.
We look forward to receiving your application!