We are DICE
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Battlefront franchise, and the innovative game Mirror’s Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. We recognise that our people are the backbone and driving force to our creative products. As such, we are dedicated in providing everyone the ability to express, learn, and be their very best with a common cause.
At DICE we constantly try to push the limits of what is possible in our games, but making them is hard work. That’s why we’re looking for creative and passionate people to join us and help build our immersive worlds. To that end, we are now looking for a Lead Outsourcing Artist with experience from the games industry to join our 3D Art team.
Who you will be working with
The DICE Stockholm 3D Art team consists of roughly 30 artists, spread out across our different projects. 3D Artists at DICE don’t just build assets, they are given the ownership and creative freedom to work collaboratively with designers, programmers and other art disciplines to bring our worlds alive. We also work closely with external development teams, both within EA Worldwide Studios and external vendors.
At DICE we value career development, wellbeing and fun, which in the 3D Art team translates to regular team meetings across all projects to share knowledge and ensure everyone is up-to-date with what’s happening at the studio. To ensure a healthy work-life balance we put realistic and sustainable planning and scoping of our features as the number one priority.
We also organise activities such as workshops, life drawing sessions and regular team meals.
If you join our team then we would love to get your input on how we can make it an even better place to join, grow and excel in!
What you will be doing
As a Lead Outsourcing Artist you will be working closely with the Studio 3D Art Director, Development Directors and the rest of the 3D Art team. You’ll be meeting regularly to review assets quality and discuss progress on project deliverables while ensuring that our external development teams can work as efficiently as possible together with our in-house artists.
You will also:
- Be responsible for the quality of external art production and make sure that our external partners have a steady backlog.
- Handle communication with external partners and represent 3D Artists in conversations and relay the info back to the appropriate teams.
- Manage training and adapting our documentation for external partners, making sure they get what they need to work efficiently and are following our guidelines.
- Build lasting and sustainable relationships with external partners.
- Set an example for how we work with external development at the studio, by documenting and sharing best practices with other in-house teams and disciplines.
Who you are
- An individual with past experience as a 3D Artist in the video games industry, preferably in a role with close connection to external developers.
- An excellent written, visual and verbal communicator, including coaching and mentoring, who is able to effectively work around time zone differences as well as potential language and cultural barriers.
- A people person who is passionate about building and maintaining a collaborative, transparent and learning culture together with our external partners and build bridges between our in-house artists and external partners.
- Proficient with current generation industry-standard tools and workflows, such as Maya, Photoshop and the Substance suite.
- Experienced in sprint planning, scoping of work and creating and maintaining asset backlogs in software such as Shotgun.
- Able to balance multiple tasks and shifting priorities continuously and delegate work as necessary.
- Meticulously structured at setting and maintaining standards such as naming conventions and documentation.
Typical day-to-day tasks
- Review sample assets of externally created assets and communicate with 3D Artists in the team to ensure quality. 3D Artists are responsible for bulk feedback.
- Gather feedback from project teams regarding issues with external art and solve the issues together with the external partner.
- Review game teams’ feedback to external partners to ensure we support them in the best way possible, coaching the 3D Artists.
- Identify and communicate to in-house teams when there is a discrepancy in expectations of deliveries.
- Review possible candidates for new external partners and drive external art tests, reviewing them together with appropriate 3D artists.
- Travel to external partners and host visits at the DICE office to manage and improve external partner relations.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At DICE we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package we offer our employees massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities (yoga and cross fit to name a few) and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer and also provide our employees’ with occupational pension
Although we enjoy working hard at DICE, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods.
We thought you might also like to know…
The position is permanent and applications will be selected continuously. Apply online with a combined CV and Introduction letter in English. Because this role has a focus on artistic skill, please also include a link to your portfolio. As part of the application process we might ask you to perform a work assignment.
Even if your experience doesn’t perfectly match this job description we would love to hear from you and get to know you better. DICE is made up of people with different backgrounds, ideas and perspectives and regardless of where you come from, we want you to apply if you’d like to become a part of the next generation of DICErs.