Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
We are DICE
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning developer based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise.
The Senior Online Software Engineer designs and implements solutions connecting millions of players in our online multiplayer games. You will design, develop and support online features such as authentication, matchmaking, progression and in-game store for DICE’s future titles. This is a challenging role that demands knowledge from multiple disciplines. The role requires an understanding of the different network topologies used in gaming and interaction with the different online services powering DICE games. As part of a game team, you are expected to write high performing systems with limited hardware resources and sometimes poor network conditions to ensure optimal user experience for the players.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with game design, user experience, product and analytics teams to identify online system’s needs, evaluate requirements, write specifications, and design and implement complex systems and interfaces.
- Write well designed, efficient and testable software.
- Strive for excellence in software craftsmanship, and collaborate with peers to improve software design
- Teach and mentor fellow online engineers on relevant modern technologies as well as on best practices for developing online systems.
Required Skills & Experience
Applicants should have a track record of working on complex consumer software products (experience in gaming is a plus). You should be comfortable talking to us about:
- Algorithms, design patterns, debugging and memory/performance optimization.
- Distributed systems with high performance and reliability
- Mentoring and knowledge sharing across the team
Other Skills and Abilities
- Passion about games and game development
- Expertise in C/C++
- Strong architectural skills
- Strong knowledge in different network topologies used in gaming
- Experience with player progression & statistics tracking
- Multithreaded programming and debugging experience
- Networking and application layer protocols (TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS)
- Good understanding of backend microservice architecture and infrastructure is preferred
- Willingness and openness to learn new skills and ramp up quickly
- Able to communicate with technical and non-technical team members and partner groups
- Able to own features and put together technical proposals and software estimates
- Experience of scalable distributed systems, including performance & storage considerations
- Self-driven with a strong sense of quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong English is a must
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At DICE we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package, we offer our employees free EA games, massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities (yoga and cross fit to name a few) and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer which includes a parental salary benefit program and also provide our employees’ with occupational pension.
At DICE, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods.
We thought you might also like to know…
As part of the application process, we might ask you to take on a practical work test. The position is permanent and applications will be selected continuously. Apply online with a combined CV and Introduction letter in English.
We welcome people from different backgrounds and look forward to receiving your application!
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.