We are DICE
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning developer based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise.
We are looking for a Linux Performance Engineer with experience writing highly performant, maintainable code in C++.
As a Linux Performance Engineer, you will be a software engineer focusing on optimization of the game server code to maximize the performance on Linux systems. You will drive performance optimisations of the game servers and the Linux cloud environment in which they are hosted.
This role is a key part of providing a truly enjoyable gaming experience to our players by ensuring that our game servers run at optimal efficiency. It will be part of a small team with a focus on the game server.
Your ideas and implementations will change how DICE creates games. From within DICE and EA, being in a driving partnership with the Frostbite game engine development team, you will be working alongside leading industry talent in one of the world’s largest and leading game development communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write well designed and efficient C++ code
- Analyze performance of game servers running on Linux in a cloud environment
- Optimize game server code based on performance data
- Teach and share performance and Linux expertise to other engineers
- Experience with multithreaded software development in C/C++, including extensive knowledge of common synchronisation mechanisms and their impact on performance.
- Has expert knowledge of Unix/Linux platforms.
- Experience with Linux performance profiling and analysis using tools such as perf and Valgrind.
- An understanding of the differences between and performance implications of various modern CPU architectures, especially Intel Haswell/Skylake and newer architectures
Nice to have:
- Experience with cloud deployment, containerisation and virtualized environments, especially AWS.
- Documented experience and a genuine interest in game development
- Windows experience and expertise.
- We do not believe it matters if you have a degree in Computer Science or if you are self-taught. Your deep subject-matter knowledge, your engineering skills and experience, and your drive to constantly improve and evolve is what makes you right for this job.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At DICE we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package, we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities (yoga and crossfit to name a few) and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer which includes a parental salary benefit program and also provide our employees’ with occupational pension.
At DICE, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods.
We thought you might also like to know…
As part of the application process, we might ask you to take on a practical work test.
The position is permanent and applications will be selected continuously. Apply online with a combined CV and Introduction letter in English.
We welcome people from different backgrounds and look forward to receiving your application!